Stretching 40 miles across the heart of Minnesota's Arrowhead Region, Lake Vermilion boasts 40,000 acres, 365 islands, and 1200 miles of beautiful shoreline, making it a haven for fishing enthusiasts.
Lake Vermilion is a phenomenal lake for fishing walleye, crappies, northern pike, muskie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, along with panfish like sunfish, perch, and bluegills.
Ludlow’s Island Bait and Tackle Shop offers an expanded line of fishing and outdoor gear, equipment sales, and demo options for our guests.
Michael, our head of guest services, shares his passion for Lake Vermilion fishing by offering educational clinics throughout the summer. Michael will help equip experienced fishermen, novices, and everyone in between.
- Guests looking to catch walleye, crappies, and northern pike should aim to come during the springtime or fall.
- Bass anglers will want to plan their trip during the warmer months in July and August.
- Walleye fishing is usually good all year round.
- Panfish move to the shallows when the water starts to warm in the spring, so fishing varies with the year and spring.
- Muskie season opens in Minnesota on June 4 in 2022. The fishing is usually pretty good right away in June, but it gets really good in the fall.
If you’re interested in other species, or if you’d like additional tips and advice, Michael is happy to help!
So that you may start your vacation right away, we recommend purchasing your license online prior to your arrival. However, you may purchase a fishing license at the resort, in the main lodge building using your driver’s license and social security number.
Current Minnesota Fishing Regulations
Kids have lots of luck fishing right off our docks, and cane poles are free for their use. Fish caught off the docks are released so there are always plenty to catch.
Kids under 16 years old do not need a fishing license.